Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Biker Jacket

My current “main” project is the Biker Jacket from the Tweed Collection by Debbie Bliss. As per usual, I’m not using the recommended yarn. In fact, it’s not even tweed. I’m using Araucania Nature Wool in Lime Green (23 or 27). The Nature Wool is my new favorite yarn. It is hand dyed and has a slight variegation in it. I also love their Nature Cotton.

I didn’t really pick this project. A local yarn shop was offering a class on it and it has a zipper. I wanted to learn how to do a zipper and it said it was a beginner class. I signed up. I think the class is unanimous in voting this sweater an advanced beginner to intermediate project. Of course, it would have helped if the instructor had actually made the sweater herself, but I digress.

I am pretty much done with the knitting part. I still have the trim for the sleeves and the bottom to do. I have sewn the collar on and will begin the sleeves tonight. This sweater project has been a lot more frustrating then I thought. I have since given up hope on completing it before the last class (tomorrow) when we’ll learn the do the zipper. And I’ve felt better ever since. The instructor has been nice enough to say that I can come by sometime after the class for more help.

In the meantime, to help alleviate my frustration and keep me from giving up knitting completely, I’m working on a poncho. I started the Herringbone Poncho from the Last Minute Knitted Gifts (LMKG) book. I really love the look of it! It’s almost double sided. I’ve actually been thinking of doing it again but with the wrong side out. I am not using the recommended yarn. The pattern calls for Blue Sky Alpaca but the one website I looked at (I know, great research on my part) said it was $19 a skein. Since I haven’t actually held the yarn, it could be worth it.

Instead I decided to be good and use yarn that I actually already have. I had bought 7 skeins of Lamb’s Pride Worsted in Prairie Fire Red awhile back. I had originally planned to make the Union Square Poncho out of it but thought it would be too heavy. I’m quite proud of myself for having the willpower to not buy new yarn.

Knitting the pattern is hard on the hands so I thought I should have a back up, back up project. I was going to start the One Baaad Poncho that I found at helloyarn.com but then realized that Christmas is just around the corner. Instead I’m going to make several of the Airy Scarf from LMKG. Right now I need to make four of them. Lucky for me they only take 2 to 4 hours each.

I also found a pattern for yet another poncho that I like. It’s in Knitter’s (Winter 2004) magazine and called Peppermint Swirl. It’s a think yarn and big needles. I could probably do it really quick. Once I finish my presents, that is. There’s also another lacy scarf that I could probably do quickly, once I learn the yarn over.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Leather Biker Jacket said...

Nice post love reading it

9/06/2011 03:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Link
Previous | Next