Monday, May 30, 2005

Dieing to dye

Last night I finally did something I’ve been itching to do since forever. I dyed yarn with Kool-aid! It was a lot of fun. Although it was also messy, takes a lot of water and Kool-aid only comes in pastel colors. Having said that, I need more Kool-aid.

I used Knit Picks Wool of the Andes, worsted weight in natural. Here’s the before picture:



Step One: Soaking. This step is surprisingly hard since wool likes to float. It’s hard to get all of it under water.



Step Two: Dying.





Step Three: Nuking. I’ll get shots of this next time.

Step Four: Cooling.



Step Five: Rinsing.



Step Six: Drying.



Step Seven: Waiting. I’m still waiting for the yarn to dry. Then I’ll ball it up and knit with it. I’m really looking forward to it. What can I make with 220 yards of worsted weight yarn? A hat? A scarf?

Lesson One: Next time I’ll use gloves.



I wonder who has the best Kool-aid selection in town?

2 Comments:

Blogger Shelly said...

That is very cool--are there directions online?

6/07/2005 09:09:00 AM  
Blogger J said...

Yeah, there's several places on line with kool aid dying directions. Here's a couple...

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall02/FEATdyedwool.html

http://www.knittersreview.com/article.asp?article=/review/profile/010615_a.asp

It's supper easy and so much fun!

6/07/2005 10:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Link
Previous | Next