Saturday, March 12, 2005

Spider Saga

Okay, so "saga" is a bit of an exaggeration. I my effort to make smaller, quicker projects I decided to do the Spiderweb Capelet from Sn’B Nation. It only takes 2 balls of yarn and is knit on large needles. What could be better?

Last weekend I cast on my yarn and got started. I was making really good time on it. The instructions call for repeating the pattern twice. I was getting close to finishing my second set when I took a closer look at it. I only had a few rows left and I hadn’t even used one ball of yarn and it was short. Yes, I know capelets are supposed to be short, but this one wouldn’t even make it past my shoulders.

I reread the pattern, several times. It looked liked I’d followed it. Then I looked at the picture in the book. My lace didn’t look anything like what was in the book. I checked the Sn’B website and sure enough, there’s an error in the pattern. I had done the thing wrong. With a heavy heart I pulled it all out.

I was so bummed by having to rip out the piece that I didn’t do any knitting this week. I just kept thinking about the project. I like the capelet in the pictures but I also like the look of what I had made. Then I thought why am I worrying about this so much? It only took TWO balls of yarn!

In the end I started over using (even) larger needles. I’m going to do the pattern as it’s printed in the book, I’ll repeat the pattern three times if I have to. Then I’ll make another capelet but will follow the corrected pattern. I may even look into a different yarn to make the two completely different. You can have never have too many capelets, right?

I will have pictures of capelet #1 soon. I may wait until it’s done as it doesn’t look very interesting on the needles.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey your blog is cool, i am so glad i am not the only one with many shawls .

6/06/2005 07:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Link
Previous | Next